Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Update on my uncle and aunt

Randy’s Update
May 24, 2009, Day 30

Hello,
Yesterday we received some good news. My platelet count had gone up all by itself. In other words, my body, for the first time since I’ve been here, has started to make platelets. PRAISE GOD. This is wonderful news. But today my platelet count went down. Very discouraging news. Yet the fact that it had gone up all by itself does show that my body is finally making red blood cells.

The other news has to deal with the neutrophils. These keep bouncing back and forth. One day I will have 4 or 5% neutrophils and the next it will be 0%. Today it was 7% which is good news in that my body is starting to make good white blood cells. And so far no bad white cells are showing up. PRAISE THE LORD.

Most people who have the treatment I have had go home by day 28. I’m on day 30. The doctor says that one of the reasons for this is because I have had so much chemo in the past (2000 & 2005 and now in 2009). The more chemo a person has the harder it is for the body to recover. So until my neutrophils and platelets go up to a level that is safe, I will not be going home any time soon.

The doctor is going to have a bone marrow biopsy done on Tuesday. Even though my counts are very low, he wants to see what is happening in my bone marrow. He will be looking for any signs of leukemia. If there is, they will have to start the chemo once again and start the day count all over (which means another month or more here).

Please pray for the following:

1. That my neutrophils will go up rapidly.
2. That my platelet count will go up and stay there.
3. That my bone marrow biopsy will show no leukemia and that my body is making good red & white blood cells.
4. For God’s grace and strength to get through each day.
5. To be used by God each day as a witness of His love.

Jesus has been with us each step of the way and we feel all your prayers. Please keep them coming. We also thank you for your responses to our e-mails as they help strength us too. Thank you also for the cards you have sent. These all mean a whole lot to us. It is very hard to spend so much time in the hospital. And after this I will have to spend another 4-6 weeks in the hospital in Denver (for the bone marrow transplant). So your prayers, responses, visits and cards help me deal with being cooped up for so long. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Penny and I are praying for all of you too! We hope and pray that you all are well.

God bless,
Randy & Penny

No comments: