Friday, February 12, 2010

More of the First Week

Hi all! So I left out basically all the good stuff about this week. I'll try to go by day, giving the highlights and best info.

Monday, Feb. 8th:
My first full day in London. Very full, not too much jet lag. Here are some of the best parts:

My first tube experience! I got so excited the first time I heard "Mind the gap," I'm pretty sure I reeked of overjoyed tourist.

Martin is one of the professors and also one of the directors of our study away program. He's tall, probably in his 60s, has balding whiteish gray hair, and has a great accent. He led us on a tour of the area surrounding our school, and while he walked down the old London streets his full-length black leather coat blew back with the wind. He just looks like an epic British older man.

Our building is a small building built in the 1700s. It's very Londonish: narrow and small, with terrible toilets, but with excellent use of space. It's close to a couple of tube stops, around the corner of a Caffe Nero (pretty decent coffee and great food), and maybe a 10-15 minute walk from the British Museum. I take the tube there for classes Monday-Thursday.
Our building is also across the street from the house of Dorothy Sayers. 10 million awesome points if you can tell me why that made me practically scream with delight.

I got my first London cash, and bought a cell phone.

No comments: