Saturday, April 17, 2010

Theatre, Inklings, Bookstore Hopping, and a Garden Proposal

"It will be said on that day, 'Behold, this is our God; we have waited for Him, that He might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for Him; let us be glad and rejoice in His salvation.'" (Isaiah 25:9)
My life seems to be in a period of waiting right now. There's not much else I can do.
But, the good news is that I'm waiting in London, so at least I'm not bored. Here are some of the latest highlights:

*In the last week I saw the musical Wicked and the play The 39 Steps, both absolutely fantastic! I think Wicked has become one of my all-time favorites now. Amazing how God can teach you things through secular theatre. The 39 Steps was a comedy based off of a play which was also a Hitchock film. It consisted of 4 actors playing at least 139 different characters, showing a LOT of great movement. Katy and I also witnessed some stag and hen parties the night we saw The 39 Steps. Apparently Saturday night is the night to look ridiculous.
*I got to go to Oxford last weekend with my school! It was so beautiful there. While there I ate at The Eagle and Child, the pub where C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and other Inklings often visited. I was simply ecstatic, I could hardly contain myself!
*I went bookstore hopping last Thursday with Katy. I held first editions of Lewis and Tolkien books, among others. At one point I found a first edition of Till We Have Faces, and I just couldn't put it down. I carried it around the store until I finally forced myself to leave. If I had had my debit card with me, and if I didn't have Katy holding me back, I may have done something desperate, like actually buy it! Who cares that it's 125 pounds . . .
*I visited Kew Gardens with Katy and Whitney yesterday. It was beautiful weather, and the gardens were gorgeous. We had a lot of fun taking pictures and spotting random wildlife like squirrels and peacocks. I met a cute little British toddler who showed me around his "house" (a man-made cave sort of thing that's supposed to show you what a badger den is like), and I also proposed to Whitney (she said yes, but later we called it off, we weren't ready for that step just yet [actually one of our photo shoots started looking like an engagement shoot, and the rest you can figure out for yourself]). 'Twas quite fun.

Okay, it's 12:30 a.m. Tomorrow I'm going to the Globe Theatre to celebrate Shakespeare's birthday with some free events, and I probably should do some homework. That darn homework.
Less than a month and I'll be back home.

No comments: