Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Lion King

So Katy and I got the chance to see The Lion King musical on the West End last night. Because of the lovely practice of student concession prices, we got £53 seats in the front row of the first balcony for £21! Such a great view, it was fantastic. I was excited to see the play, but it moved me in a way I wasn't expecting. At the introduction, with incredible, massive puppets making it up the aisles, ensemble members singing African lyrics from boxes on either side of us, the music from the orchestra coming from below- something about it really affected me. Perhaps it's the Xhosa that they use, or the South African cast members, I don't know, but as the musical began I was hit by it- this is Africa! That essence, that indescribable feeling that is Africa, they got it right! I was moved to tears, and I wasn't even completely sure why. I lived for three weeks in Capetown, in Manenberg, not "real Africa" (that's how I had reasoned with myself for the past 8 months). But no, I realized that it was still Africa, and, even though it wasn't as strong as others had it, I had the Africa effect. The Lion King, in its amazing capturing of Africa, brought me to tears.
The musical itself was fantastic. Definitely not perfect, I had some problems with the production, but it was very good. It felt like African folklore (only more entertaining than the folklore I read in my mythology class last fall), on an epic scale. So much fun! I love how God keeps on giving me great tickets to great theatre. :)
(Here's a link if you'd like to watch some clips from the musical: http://www2.disney.co.uk/MusicalTheatre/TheLionKing/home/index.jsp)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

So cool! I love your heart Hannah:) Can I just say that you are getting to see some of the shows that are on my list of shows to see someday!? You'll have to come home and tell me all about them over "coffee" (or tea) ... love you!