Thursday, May 3, 2012

How to Correct

My gracious husband can attest to the fact that I can't always turn off my editor's eye. Maybe that's why I need to proofread, so I can let off some of my steam. This is also why occasional conversations with fellow grammarians about little style issues is essential for my well-being. (Did you know it's now considered standard practice to leave out the hyphen in email?)

One of the things I learned in my Publishing Procedures class was how to edit tactfully. We were given practice assignments where we had to, as gracefully as possible, point out to a pretend writer the atrocious errors in his manuscript. I think I could still use work on this, but I'm very glad Professor Solveig Robinson drilled into me the importance of tactfulness.

Because tactfulness is so important, I wanted to share this blog post I found today. It's written by a business writing expert whom I admire and concerns the right way to correct someone's typos. It's short, so please take the time to read it and let me know what you think. Are there any other tips you can think of for being tactful? Should someone respond to correction emails? If so, what's the most graceful way to thank the reader?

http://www.businesswritingblog.com/business_writing/2012/04/correcting-with-kindness.html#comments

4 comments:

Mia (Wickman) Powell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mia (Wickman) Powell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mia (Wickman) Powell said...

P.S. I think it's ironic that my post is on a blog entitled God's Grace. Ha! Obviously, I need to work on that...

Anonymous said...

Here's your original comment, Mia:

This is difficult for me, so I typically do not point out errors. I frequently make them so am more likely to let others mistakes slide. However, it doesn't stop me from going insane internally when I see them. But for example I was just recently invited to an event that has the potential to be very informative. Until the "Teacher" who is presenting spelled a few basic words incorrectly. They did not appear to be regular "typos" per se, which I consider a slip of your finger or eye, but rather a spelling error that came from ignorance. (i.e. incorrectly using your, you're, they're, there, their etc...) which made me promptly decline the invitation. I do not wish to sit under some teaching by a person who can't spell!!! This happens OFTEN and usually on sites where people are trying to get viewers/readers to attend an event, donate money or time. I have also noted, this happens frequently when people are using their mobile phones or iphones. This is such a turn off and makes your company/event look bad too! PROOFREAD People!