Friday, May 14, 2010

A Fond Farewell

Today I went to Borough Market with Lizzie and Hannah Lee and roamed the food market (like Pike's Place, but very much a London market). We ordered pies and a pasty for lunch and ate in the courtyard of the church where Shakespeare worshiped, down the road from the Globe. We had a long conversation with the distinctly English man selling us fresh Turkish Delight, and we bought hot mulled wine from two men who told us their recipe and how they don't add sugar like other mulled wine makers. Lizzie and I took our last double-decker bus to Waterloo Station and then crossing the foot bridge, saying goodbye to Big Ben and the London Eye from our view above the Thames River. I went off on my own to the National Portrait Gallery, said hi to Henry VIII and William Morris and Queen Elizabeth II and Oscar Wilde. I visited the tea shop on the Strand, bought myself a tea tidy so I can make a proper cup of tea back in the States. Then, picking up a London Evening Standard, I descended into Charing Cross Underground Station and took the Tube back to Alice's house.

Farewell, London, my dear, dear friend. I will return.

No comments: