Thursday, February 2, 2012

Birthdays and Small Business

I do like the chance to shop at Target and get everything picked up at once. I do like knowing that I can get at least decent coffee from a Starbucks in London as well as in Puyallup. And I do like getting good deals on Amazon every once in a while.

However, there's something different about going to a locally owned establishment. Perhaps I'm a little biased, since my husband owns and runs a small business and I do editing and writing for a small business that in turn works for small businesses and nonprofits. And I thought the idea of business classes sounded absolutely dreadful. Go figure.

Today is Jason's birthday, and to celebrate we went to our favorite little Chinese restaurant by PLU. It's called The Tea Leaf, and Jason's been going there since his freshman year of college 6 years ago. The owner, whose name I can't type because it's Korean and I would butcher it, loves Jason. She asks how his work is doing, how his parents are, where his parents live, if we're going to visit them any time soon, etc. I mentioned that we're celebrating his birthday, and she brought out an entire extra plate of potstickers, AND gave us Jason's meal for free. Yes, he has invested lots and lots of time and money into that business over the years, but she didn't need to do that. And after every course she thanked us. No sense of entitlement there, eh?

When we're in the middle of a big faith journey, it's so encouraging to see that God is blessing us. I love it when He uses yummy Chinese food!

No comments: